Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Living in a HDB in Singapore means that you're closer to your community, you are exposed to what people are doing daily and often you see/hear things that attracts your attention. This afternoon I was distracted by a loud commotion coming from the void deck.

It sounded like there was a fight going on between a male and female. The female was screaming madly as though she was badly injured with each blow. I assumed this as I didn't see it first hand.

Coming to my point, how many of you have witnessed/heard a fight going on and actually stepped in to help? I am glad my neighbourhood has people who are helpful. Many men came down to help/call the police. The screamings stopped after people stepped in. Shortly after the police came. 

Often enough in today's society, we see that people are beginning to lose a sense of humanity in them. Such as photographing an accident/fight instead of helping the victims first. What is the priority? Getting online virality isn't the focus. As a human, we should be conscious of what's happening around us and seek help for others if need to or simply lend a helping hand.

That said, if the situation is dangerous, you would definitely need to wait for help to arrive or distract attackers. In the meantime, try to recognise the attackers so that you can be a witness to the crime. 

Regardless the root of the problem, we should all help each other. We should not be quick to judge, for example: the victim may have done something wrong to anger the attacker, or simply ignore the situation. For instance, you don't know them so you don't have to help / someone else will help...
This my friend, is the incorrect attitude that we should not be nurturing. It is the role of the police who investigates and the judge to sentence. 

Someone who has lived 37 years more than me could actually tell me not to bother because I don't know the full story and the parties involved is not my neighbor (in her exact term). 

Let me share with you other real life situations that has happened around Singapore: 
1) Boy A does not like Boy B. Boy A and his gang of friends beat up Boy B. 
Anyone who witness the situation should call the police first.

2) Fire breaks out at an opposite block. 
Anyone who sees a fire/thick smoke, should call the police first. 

Always put yourself in others' shoe. If (1) or (2) happened to you or people you know, what would you do? As a victim what would you want others to do if they see such things happening? I end with a quote, Treat others the same way you want them to treat you. (Luke 6:31)  and I hope that you, who have read this, will always extend a hand to anyone in need. 


No comments: